Monday, August 01, 2005

Every Saga has an Ending

As I near the end of my 25th year, as well as the half way marker of my fourth year in sunny Osaka (which is too sunny today if you ask me), I feel I should reflect on what I have accomplished so far in life. But that wouldn't be so interesting.

Instead, I'd like to talk about similarities between American and Japanese culture. Besides from being a westernized, modernized, developed nation, Japan and its people bear a striking resemblance to Americans in many ways. The most obvious being driving. Japanese people, whether they are walking, riding a bicycle or driving some sort of motorized vehicle, tend to not look where they are going and instead just go and let whatever be in their path be damned. This is similar to the Brooklyn housewife who drives an SUV while screaming at her kids over the non-hands-free cell phone. On my way back from the Supermarket today I nearly hit three people because their heads were watching their feet and/or back.

Next, Japanese people love useless stuff. This is the biggest consumer market on the planet. Coca-Cola has about 27 different drinks on the market here, just to remain competitive. Japanese people will buy anyway from anyone. Case in point and I'm sorry I don't have a picture, everyone's favorite Christmas decoration, especially for a country that doesn't celebrate it, Santa on a Cross. I actually held one in my hand and am still kicking myself for not buying it.

Walking around the streets of New York City on any day and you will find a large number of people talking to themselves. While, usually, in NYC we chalk this up to mental instability, while in Japan it's socially acceptable. People can be often found in street saying such lines as "I'm hungry!" "It's hot/cold/windy," "I'm tired," etc. Although this doesn't extend to the truly crazy old man I saw today screaming hello at everyone who walked by from the comfort of his kiddie ride.

But, we cannot forgot the national Japanese pastimes that have become amazing popular in the states in the past few years, namely eating sushi, sending text messages (cell phone emails), playing video games and watching crappy animation. Just because it's Japanese doesn't mean it's good.

Wisdom of the Day: What you do today you may not have to do tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the actual blog, or just until you can host your own. I really like the home page. It is actually artistic. Modern art meets a subway map. Pretty.

8/02/2005 10:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home