Saturday, June 04, 2005

The Bicycle Paradox: Part Dux

I seem to remember someone telling me that the bicycle impounds in Japan are overcrowded and that only something like 40% of all impounded bicycles are actually recovered. After seeing the Impound I can see why.

As it turns out there is an Impound center a mere two minutes walk from my house, roughly five minutes from the station where my bicycle was taken from. After a quick survey of the area, I penetrated the perimeter. Inside a truck was offloading some new acquisitions, no surprise there. I entered the main office and was quickly seated by the attendant. After a few minutes of causal Japanese I stated that my bicycle was impounded near Bentenchou station. His face instantly changed to depression as he proceeded to tell me that the Bentenchou station impound was a 40 minute bus ride west of our current location, on a small artifical island that is home to the main Osaka Port Town. This means that the ride back to my place will be around 90 minutes, time I simply don’t have. On top it will cost me ¥2,500 (about $25) to get my bicycle back, expensive when considering it only cost me ¥5,000 in the first place!.

Apparently the theory behind the placing of the Impounds is that it’s so far that you’ll take care in the future not to park illegally. But from what I can see it’s not working as 60% of the people just buy new bicycles. It’s what I’m planning to do as well.

Wisdom of the Day: Be Reasonable!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, they didn't just let you take any bike you wanted for $25? What the heck? That's so un-Osakan of them. Perhaps you were too honest and they sensed it.

Try to get information on the bike impound's auction or whatever. I have only heard of this, but we should be able to get bikes pretty cheap that way.

Okay now, to the question I've been waiting for - what's the connection with bicycles and ducks? Are you concerned about the amount of ducks who have no bicycles because they haven't the $25 to get them back from the impound? Or are you more concerned that they cannot reach the pedals?

I agree that the duck-bicycle problem is quite an emotional issue, but in future posts it may be more helpful to actually WRITE about the ducks instead of your own troubles with your own bicycle.

Good luck

6/05/2005 08:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home