Monday, February 13, 2006

Kwan Departs, Miki Stays

With perhaps the most graceful and amazing departure in Olympic figure skating history that I have seen (all three days of it), over the weekend American figure skater Michelle Kwan withdrew from the Torino Olympics without even competing once.

In the end, Kwan was done in by her own body. Having suffered multiple injuries over her career, which is renown for her skill to rise to the occasion and adapt to new situations quickly and with ease (like it says about me in my resume), Kwan, who was never afraid of the competition, is already a multi-millionaire from the sport, had already devoted the majority of her 25 years to figure skating. She pulled out of the Olympics feeling that her pain would not allow her to give the effort she feels the event deserves.

For me, this is a breath of relief, for I no longer have to worry about whether I would root for her or the far cuter, yet much less American, Miki Ando. I wonder if she is doing anything this weekend?


Wisdom of the Day: Triple up the socks in a blizzard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home