Sunday, June 12, 2005

Stuff & Junk

Going through my house today I found a lot of stuff and junk. Yet what is stuff and junk? The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition 2000, defines stuff as:

3. Informal a. Unspecified material: Put that stuff over there. b. Household or personal articles considered as a group. c. Worthless objects.

And junk as:

1. Discarded material, such as glass, rags, paper, or metal, some of which may be reused in some form. 2. Informal a. Articles that are worn-out or fit to be discarded: broken furniture and other junk in the attic. b. Cheap or shoddy material. c. Something meaningless, fatuous, or unbelievable: nothing but junk in the annual report.

In my case it’s a large assortment of things from books I’ve finished, games I no longer play, old lesson plans for high schools and universities, a splattering of CDs, DVDs, and at least two cassettes, don’t ask. But as I look around my house I wonder where all this stuff came from. I rarely buy things like that, I try to throw away as much as possible and keep my house as tidy as possible, okay not that tidy but better than Doug!

My point is how do we accumulate so much stuff. Even people I know, who focus hard to elimate the junk in their lives (especially Mom) cannot escape from the never ending mount of stuff and junk that piles up in their houses. My situation is somewhere between conditions blue and yellow, but still it’s something I should keep an eye on for the future.

Wisdom of the Day: Shoe boxes take up more space than Playstation games.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to Carlin, a house is just a place to keep your stuff. So if you get a bigger place, you gotta get more stuff to fill it with. Stuff is a biproduct of having a place to live. The amount of worthless stuff, junk, falderall, things, garbage, paraphenalia and shit is directly proportionate to the size of your shack.

Be glad you didn't find any panties, etc. there. Be more glad that no girls found panties in there.

6/13/2005 11:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home