Thursday, June 16, 2005

Izakaya Time

Izakaya, a Japanese word which roughly translates as pub in most dictionaries is actually far from any pub you will ever visit in any non-Japanese country, and believe me there are more than a few, by some accounts, many.

The best way to describe an Izakaya is a sort of Japanese dinner. It’s the place you go to to eat and drink and relax after work. It’s usually open very late or until the wee hours of the morning and serves a majority of Japanese style food. Everything thing from Okonomiyaki, Negitoro maki, Tonpeiyaki and Potato Fried to big plates of Sashimi and Karaage.

They also serve copus amounts of alcohol, mainly types of Japanese beer, and sake. I prefer nihonshu, by the way, shouchu is way too bland for me.

Anyway, tonight we experienced Supa Hyakuban, (roughly translated as Super Number-100) an Izakaya in northern Osaka city, known for it’s insanely cheap prices and loud, drunken and very Japanese atmosphere. Joining me this evening were the ever lively Carl (aka Kaze of many posts) and the beautiful but ever late Shizuka, who claims she will introduce to the even cuter Nana, next week, I’ll believe it when I see it. Shizuka, who studied English for a long time, defines an Izakaya so:

  • And integral combination of western and Japanese culture coalescing in a uniquely Asian experience categorized by the large quantity of contentment and relaxation which is necessary to the continued market dominance of many Japanese products in the foreign market. Futhermore, the Izakaya represents the Japanese desire to be known as an individual amongst a large number of individuals who blend in together due to similar physical characteristics, interests and mindset. It is a vital component of Japanese culture, which’s affect on the general Japanese psyche cannot be underestimated.

And after five beers. Carl agreed:

  • Yes. Umm, can we order more Tonpeiyaki? And why can’t you find a link for it?

Now I should get to sleep tomorrow because I have 10 lessons and a Mexican party in Shinsaibashi to attend. Don’t blame me if you missed last train.

Wisdom of the Day: Of course you want another round

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Misquote! Misquote! I believe I said, "See those girls? Say 2 words to them." "ALL NIGHT!!!"

Yes, of course I wanted another round. Going home at 11pm makes me feel 1. Too young and my parent's are calling. or 2. Too old and I have to get home to watch Final Jeopardy.

Then again, another round would've gotten us late and drunk enough to start prepositioning girls in front of the Hep Five shopping mall...

6/18/2005 02:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home