Sunday, December 18, 2005

Widgets

Why does cool software get all fucked up when a big company takes it over? Case in point: my recent issues with Konfabulator, now known as Yahoo! Widget Engine. Konfabulator was started way back in 1998, the author apparently looking for a way to skin his desktop with certain programs or information. After a few development cycles of trial and error, as well as a hunt for additional programmers, Konfabulator was released for Mac OS X in 2003, and later on for Windows. Apple later copied (stole?) this feature, integrated it into the 10.4 desktop and called it Dashboard.

But what happened to Konfabulator? It still hung around as an alternative for non 10.4 users and Windows users, until recently. As many programs like to do these days, about a week ago Konfabulator told me to upgrade to the newest latest, super-cool version available. Much to my shock, I found that Yahoo had assimilated Konfabulator into their umbrella and viola: the new Yahoo! (don’t forget the “!”) Widget Engine was born.

Upon first glance the software is nearly identical. But using proved to be a problem. All my widgets I liked were replaced, without being asked, with Yahoo! versions of the same type. My old ones were deleted or moved, because I can’t seem to find them. The engine itself crashes, refuses to boot-up widgets and bothers me waaaay too much about updates. I finally updated and after an installation I’m up and running again, although the program gets very nervous when I try to run my old widgets I found on the site. Also watch out for the number of links to Yahoo!, default homepage resetting buttons and extra secret software it will try and install. At least it’s nice enough to ask.

So which cool semi-independent software is gonna get fucked up next?


Wisdom of the Day: The Mario Widget is funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home