Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Good Life

Today, I’ve decided to wax philosophical. Six weeks ago I returned to NYC amid much fanfare, excitement and a bit of hesitation on my half. I hadn’t lived here for nearly 4 years and the memory of my life here had begun to degrade. I had forgotten all the time I spent in Manhattan during my college days. All the times I drove in and around Staten Island. The majority of the non-fun times working at Unos in Bay Ridge.

I did, however, remember that I was happy and I also remembered that I loved my life in Osaka. True I was busy. I worked 6 days a week and usually spent Sunday running around doing something. But I went out a lot, always had friends coming over or joining them to some event and generally seemed to be unaware of the river of time passing with me in it. NYC, Bay Ridge in particular seemed so far from that enjoyment and life seemed like it wouldn’t return anytime soon.

Yet, now 6 weeks later, I feel good. My social life is coming back together with friends both new and old, American and Japanese. I’ve begun to re-explore Manhattan and find places and people I hadn’t before. I can finally watch movies when they come out rather than 3-6 months later. I can understand what the names of the medicine, food, movie means, rather than struggling through kanji. Within a few weeks, I hope to be gainfully employed and will rejoin the gym. A few months later I expect to move out of my parents house (again) and finally settle the final pieces of my life back into place. Before long, I also intend to add another piece in the puzzle with grad school.

Where did all this come from? Well, while standing on the very cold corner of E 9th Street and 2nd Avenue last night, waiting to meet my sister and her ride home, I thought about everything and realized that again, I’m happy. It’s brings back one of my favorite quotes. I’m sure it was said by someone else, but I remember it from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles graphic novel volume IV. In the story, right before Christmas the turtles are attacked by there enemy, almost lose Raphael, retreat to an old house in upstate NY in an attempt to heal and regroup. After a long period and a tough winter, the turtles look at what they have been through, where they are now and what is coming next and they realize:

Wisdom of the Day: Life is good, and therefore life goes on.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's always somethin isn't there?
Although I agree with you whole heartedly, how many of us do you think know what the hell a "Widget" is? :))

12/24/2005 09:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home