Saturday, December 10, 2005

Review of Aeon Flux

Aeon Flux. To be honest I wasn’t originally interested in seeing it. But it seemed better than sitting in the house and playing City of Heroes, right? After seeing it, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The movie’s story was top rate, the style was cool and the acting was good. Overall I liked it, but it didn’t stand out in the way the animation did. The animation was a very stylized form of Japanese manga that at first looked like a bad imitation, but upon further inspection was very well thought out and designed.

The movie on the other hand was disappointing in this aspect. Unlike movies that have stunned me like Sky Captain, CASSHERN, Sin City, Chronicles of Riddick and Minority Report, Aeon Flux failed to pull me in. I feel the big difference is that world. In the three other movies, the directors didn’t go out of their way to make the world look real and like ours; rather they created a fantasy world and used costumes, digital grading, blue screens and other techniques to blend the characters into the world creating a quasi-believable modern day fairy tale.

Aeon Flux, on the other hand, used none of these and the whole movie seems visually dull to me, especially after the powerhouse that was CASSHERN, the stylizing of Minority Report and the stuff I’ve seen from the remake of King Kong.

It’s a fun movie and won’t disappoint too much, but I’d recommend save your money for King Kong (next week!), Chronicles of Narnia (next week!!) or Memoirs of a Geisha (next next week!!!).


Wisdom of the Day: see here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home