Sunday, November 06, 2005

Brooklyn Cell Phone Revolution

It didn’t take long, only a few years, but since I have been back, mind you only a few days, I have noticed a change in Brooklyn. Perhaps a little history is necessary.

Let's travel back 3 and a half years to when I first came to Japan. Of the many new and interesting things I noticed about the country was the wide spread ownership of cell phones. Not only the people you would expect to have them, but old women, 10 year old children, handicapped people, everyone! More striking was the obsession with the phone. It was always ready to go, in an easily accessible place, such as on the table during dinner or hanging from one's neck at the office. The phones were always in a safe distance from the hand if an email (aka text message) should be received or a call from a business client and/or girlfriend was received. The trains were filled with people who appeared as though the phones were surgically attached to their phones. The society was hooked on the cell phone.

Back in Brooklyn only a few days later, I find the same thing around me, a society constantly on the phone, or sending a message as they walk. While I was gone, Brooklyn and possibly the world had changed to become more Japan like. Normally I would take some pictures of this, but remember this is Brooklyn and that sort of thing is liable to get me punched, stabbed, shot or slapped, all of which I would like to avoid.

Mind you, I'm not writing this in protest or attack of this practice. The Japanese converted me to this a long time ago, as many of my friends will attest too. Docomo and Tomoko are thoroughly convinced that my last two phones broke from overuse, though I believe it's from my phones obsession with flying towards the ground at high speed, something that I had nothing to do with. This is just an observation.

Wisdom of the Day: Don't use your phone's camera in Brooklyn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home