Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Nara...again

Since I have been in Japan I have had the distinct pleasure of visiting the ancient capital of Japan: Nara, more times than I have fingers.
There are a few things you need to know about Nara: first off Nara was the original capital of Japan until the 9th century when the capital was moved to Kyoto, where it remained until the middle of the 16th century. Second, Nara city has become a very touristy city. It's many features include a large number of temples and shrines, most prominent among these is Todaiji temple, which houses the largest Buddha sculpture, measuring about 45 feet height, in Japan. The second is the great Buddha of Kamakura. Nara city also has a great museum of Nara history, some great restaurants, Nara station and a large amount of tourist shops where you can buy items like katanas.

Finally, and the thing many people don't realize about Nara is that Nara city is not a big city by any stretch of the imagination. Consequently, most of Nara Prefecture is rural farmland and suburban towns. So once you have done the city tour you are done. If you visit Japan sometime soon and head down to Kansai, I highly recommend you spend a day, maybe even two if you like. Thirteen times is not necessary.


Wisdom of the Day: Variety is the spice of life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap! I thought that was Clint Eastwood in that picture!!!! The chicka in the middle is cute. From a former post I believe? ...or a former Nick party.

BTW, why the phrog is your party the same night as my annual Fall class party? I am going to be very late, so have someone mail me where you'll be if you've killed your keitai already...

10/27/2005 08:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home