Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Sayonara Meijo

Sad as it was, today was my final day at Meijo Gakuin High School. Meijo is a somewhat famous all girls High School located in the southern part of Osaka city near both Showacho and Fuminosato stations.

While Meijo has never really been known for its girls’ academic prowess, they make up for with one of the best marching bands in Kansai as well as some great sports teams. It also has some of the funniest and good hearted students in Osaka.

I was brought to Meijo in the spring of 2004 as a twice-a-week supplemental native English instructor and since then have taught over 300 different students for three different grades.

Teaching high school in Japan is similar, I imagine, to teaching in the states. It can be very rewarding at times, but it can also be very trying and energy consuming. For every laugh and good time I had, there were an equal number of times I left in a terrible and exhausted mood. Still my last few days were very enjoyable even though some of the girls were sad and angry at my departure. A few girls yelled in Japanese that I couldn’t leave and I had to stay. Others took the opportunity to get some pictures in with me or have me autograph a pencil case or textbook cover. I also took advantage and took many pictures of my own which are now part of the new Pictures section on Jedicraft.net.

I will miss teaching there more than I realize now. The girls were great to me and made me feel very special. Thanks for that and good luck to all of you in the future.

Wisdom of the Day: You can know it until you stick it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home