Saturday, September 24, 2005

Full Moon Party

The main reason we visited Koh Samui when we did was to attend the September Full Moon Party on the nearby island of Koh Phangan.

The Full Moon Party is a huge beach party, consisting of anywhere from 10,000-20,000 people doing all manner of things from dancing, smoking, drugging, fouling around, etc. It is scheduled to occur at the end of a lunar cycle, thus coinciding with the full moon phase. The beach itself is lined with a large number of bars and club all pushing out tons of music, mostly drum and bass and some house and dance, while large numbers of people spill out of the already crowded clubs and dance and fall into the sand.

I got very drunk and got lost but met a number of people from about 20 different countries, like Germany, Israel, China, Australia, England, Ireland, Brazil, Argentina and a few more I can't remember. The drink of choice is the bucket. A medium sized plastic bucket which is filled with ice, one pocket sized bottle of alcohol, and something else like soda or Red Bull. These are then filled with 3-7 straws and designed to share with your friends.

Other highlights included fluorescent body paint, I had the kanji (it's the first one) for my name painted on my right bicep, all manner of fried food, a huge clubbing house and speedboat access to and from the island, which was good for making some already drunk girls very sick, watch your feet!

I'd love to go in more detail about the party, but I just don't remember enough. If you Google the Full Moon Party you can find tons of other people's blogs giving more information and pictures. If you go, have a blast, but watch out later on in the evening as the beach tends to get filled with all manner of glass bottles, broken and unbroken and I did cut the sides of my ankles, which I didn't realize until I awoke the next day.

Wisdom of the Day: Being drunk is no excuse for not keeping the beach clean

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home