Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Cameron Duncan

While I am a little out of date with this information, I still feel it's something everyone who is reading this should be aware. I feel this so strongly, in fact that I'm pushing other posts out of the way for this. This hasn't been posted to talk about the environmental dangers or cancer or anything like that, it's just to make sure that more people know this man's story.

Cameron Duncan was a 17-year old New Zealand filmmaker, and an extraordinary one at that. While he had finished many, many clips and short films, his most incredible work was Strike Zone, a short film about a softball winning a championship. This blurb doesn't even scratch the surface of the meaning and power of this film, but rather than summarize the film more, I'd prefer you watch it. If you happen to have the Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Special Edition DVD, check out the last disc. On there contains a short documentary about Cameron's life, his work and his story.

On November 12, 2003, Cameron died from lung cancer. It was the end of a two year battle which he fought bravely while still doing some of his most impressive work. His films and work were amazing, and I have no doubt that he would have exceeded what he did in the past and would have been a hard to beat actor/director in the film scene.

I write this partly because originally I was going to skip this final part of the DVD and replace it in its case and probably never watch it again. So, if you have this DVD, than watch this documentary and amazing short film. If you don't then I recommend you buy it, if not for Cameron, than for the unbelievable 4+ hour cut of RotK which while it's long I consider better than the theatrical version.

Wisdom of the Day: If Cameron and Lance have taught us nothing, it's that being tired is no excuse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home