Sunday, March 12, 2006

Wiring

Yes okay, I know that yesterday was my day off, but I saw nothing wrong in volunteering a little time to help rewire the office and in the process learn a ton about wiring. And I got to wear a workbelt for the tools, nice. Also, we got to make a huge mess in the office. Always fun.

Okay, here’s the story. Our office’s phones suck and for any serious network work, wirless sucks. We need a wired network and now we have it. Thanks to the supervision and knowledge of our phone guy, Hank, we wired our office with network and new phone jacks and which will make our lives much easier. I’m actually excited to be using this network since I had a hand in putting it together. The majority of the work consisted in running wires around the walls and actually creating the jacks. The wires have to be opened and separated in the right places to make it all work right. I made a few mistakes as I am still learning everything but it all worked out in the end.


While I didn’t do the actual programming of the phones nor connecting it all through a patch panel, I learned a ton and had a good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home