Thursday, December 29, 2005

Link Me

On my site I have a lot of links, but I’m lazy and the internet is unbelievably huge. Yesterday, while looking for something in my bookmarks, I noticed a large number of links that I bookmarked for future blog post that I never actually used. Today I will.

Latke Larry
– Are you Jewish? Like weird toys? Can’t get enough of Jerry Stiller? Then this is the toy for you. It kvetch about as much as any Jewish friend you have won’t cook anything either (but I don’t really know anything about the cooking habits of Jewish people. Little help?)

SETI@home
– actually something I have known about for a long time. SETI (the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) has been around since the 1970s, but soon they realized, it’s a big fuckin’ sky and they didn’t have the computing power to analyze everything coming from space (most of which is background radiation from the Big Bang, ever see that static on your TV, that’s it) and in 1999 started using distributed computing methods to spread around the workload. Using a program called BOINC, your computer can download data to be analyzed and work on it for SETI or any number of other programs using the software. Some are studying climate change, while others focus on diseases and other things that may or may not benefit everyone. Over 300,000 people worldwide are currently involved with projects with this group. Try it out.

Forbes Fictional Fifteen – as if the E! Channel and A&E didn’t make all us poor and middle class people feel bad enough about not having enough money to buy our own islands in the South Pacific complete with mansions, private airstrips and supermodel maids, Forbes decided to go ahead and publish a list of fifteen fictional people who are more rich than you or I usually dream to be. A few things: first up, Santa Claus is fictional amongst even the fictional; Ducks don’t count; and why didn’t they include George Lucas? What….he’s not fictional….huh?

WebCam
– Many of your remember my Dental Cam poster from my toilet room in Bentenchou, this is kinda similar. A live webcam link to a dentist’s office in Hachinohe, Japan. Personally, I feel this dentist’s office is not sexy enough.

Reindeer Games
– Like to waste your free time? This is the game to do it. I got 76 on my first try, but apparently it’s nothing compared to the 216 score achieved by OMAC, whose name, for reasons of friendship and a love of my unbroken legs, will go unsaid.

Phylotaxis
– tough to pronounce, cool to look at. Phylotaxis is a sort of Java-based experiment showing a number of science based news stories in an attempt to show people that science together with culture creates harmony, where as either without the other results in undesirable extremes, although why this is news is anyone’s guess.

Melody’s Blog – Melody is a J-Pop singer of Japanese origin who was born and raised in Hawaii. She speaks fluent English and Japanese and has an incredibly alluring voice, not to mention she’s beautiful. Unfortunately a quick scan of her blog reveals that she has nothing to say and what she does say is of only slightly more consequence than what I write here. Oh, and btw, Melody, don’t worry about those two pounds from Christmas, it might have been five if you came to my house. God, I love those Magic Bars!

CoverPop – got this one from NY1 that I watched incessantly during last week’s transit strike. I won’t spoil it for you, the only thing I will say is that someone has waaay too much free time on their hands.

Hiroshi Yamauchi Wired Interview – this is really funny. An interview with the former head of Nintendo of Japan, Hiroshu Yamauchi. In the interview he is abrasive, angry, threatening, arrogant and impolite, everything a Japanese businessman usually isn’t. The best quote is where he told Steve Balmer: “HEY, BALLMER, WHY DON'T YOU SUCK MY TINY YELLOW BALLS?” Okay, so by know you have realized that this interview isn’t real. Still it’s very funny and worth the read if only for some small insights onto Japanese culture.

Fight Kikkoman! – I wish I could remember who sent this to me, but next to Khaan, it’s my favorite clip on the web. FYI = Show You also means soy sauce in Japanese.


Wisdom of the Day:
Dogs who drink bottled water aren’t necessarily wusses, but it doesn’t help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home