Monday, May 02, 2005

Strange Golden English

I've had these pictures on my hard drive for a while, but I thought that they would be a good example of some of the strange English one can encounter here in Japan. There are many more examples; I wish I had taken more pictures.

Right now Japan is in the middle of Golden Week. It's a string of holidays that were arranged together to give the hard-working people of Japan some well deserved time off. My favorite is the former emperor's birthday (April 29th) which has been changed to Green Day. Not saving the Earth green, but green as in “why is he wearing that puke green shirt??

Unfortunately the Japanese Diet hasn't organized it well and from the period of April 29th to May 8th, they have to work on Monday and Friday, effectively destroying any chance of getting a nice full week to travel somewhere. Of course they could take an extra day, but that's a rarity in this culture. I hope all Japanese people can at least find some rest bit during Golden Week and try to be genki in my lessons.

Meanwhile, the final death toll in the terrible train crash in Amagasaki is 107, including the driver who was killed when the train crashed head first into an apartment building. People here have become apprehensive about their trains and major reviews are beginning to a large number of train services here. I would like to give me condolences to all the families and friends of the victims of that crash.


Wisdom of the Day: A woodchuck could theoretically chuck 390,739,203.25 grams of wood, if so inclined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home